Gisburn Primary School is committed to ensuring equality of provision throughout our school. There are a number of statutory duties that must be met by every school in line with legislation from the Race Relations Amendment Act 2000, Disability Equality Duty 2005 and Equality Act 2010.
Gisburn Primary School is committed to meeting its public sector duties and acknowledges that we have a statutory duty to:
- Eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
- Promote equality of access and opportunity within our school and within our wider community.
- Promote positive attitudes to difference and good relationships between people of different backgrounds, genders, cultures, faiths, abilities and ethnic origins.
We will not discriminate on any of the grounds listed below (known as the Protected Characteristics) save where such discrimination is permitted by law, for example, the school may arrange pupils in classes based on age.
The Protected Characteristics that apply to schools are:
- Age (in relation to staff only)
- Gender re-assignment
- Marriage and civil partnership (in relation to staff only)
- Pregnancy and Maternity
- Religion Faith or Belief
- Sexual orientation.
At Gisburn Primary School, we are committed to ensuring equality of education and opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, religion or socio-economic background.
In order to further support pupils, raise standards and ensure inclusive teaching, we have set the following objectives: -
- To promote a deeper understanding and tolerance of different faiths through a rich range of experiences.
- To continually consider how well the school ensures equality of opportunities for all its pupils.
- To narrow the attainment gap of disadvantaged pupils and other pupils nationally.
- To continue to monitor and support attendance of all groups of children in school.
- To review levels of parental and pupil engagement in learning and school life, across all activities to ensure equity and fairness in access and engagement.
- To ensure the school environment is as accessible as possible to pupils, staff and visitors.